Friday, April 29, 2011

Dress for Success - Power Walk

I am honoured to be the face of the Power Walk for Success in Vancouver, Canada. This event happens in just over a week on May 7, 2011.

As a Paralympian, I typically get asked to speak to children in
schools, university students, sponsors or those attending gala dinners
or conferences, all of which I love doing and that are important to the
Paralympic movement, awareness and my personal beliefs.

I was thrilled when I was approached to be the face of the Power Walk
benefiting the Dress for Success Vancouver.  The fit is great!

Why? Where’s the fit?

I am proud of my accomplishments on the international stage as a swimmer
but I'm equally as proud about my interests outside of the pool: sport, recreation, active and healthy living promotion for all and challenging perceptions!

Dress for Success:
1.      Provides hope, encouragement, education and skills training to
         women who have been unemployed.
2.      There is no typical client. They range from 16 to 60 years in
         age. They are refugees, single moms, retirees who need to keep
         working; women with disabilities and women most would not think are
         struggling to find employment.
3.      Believes every woman who wants change should have the
         opportunity to do so – regardless of her circumstances, she deserves
         support and chances many others have.
4.      Collects professional clothing for their Clothing Service
         which levels the playing field for their clients. These women can show
         up to interviews and look and FEEL as good as anyone else.
5.      Their clients gain long term friendships, access to networking
         and increased confidence.

The 5km Power Walk:
1.      Raises awareness and funds for Dress for Success.
2.      Highlights the aspect of health and the importance of work-life balance.

If you can’t pitch in financially or participate in person, I’d love for you
to spread the word about the Power Walk for Success and Dress for Success.


If you have professional clothes you no longer wear, love or fit, donate them! Follow the links below. The clothes you donate will make a huge difference in someone’s confidence headed into an interview.

Dress for Success has locations (affiliates) around the world.  Click here to find an affiliate near you.  

To find a Suit Drive near you contact the affiliate near you.

I'm thrilled to be a part of the event and this organization. Dress for Success challenges society’s perspectives on who can/should/is able to work and helps women challenge self-perceived perspectives as well.

I'm off to meet the staff at Dress for Success next week and will follow that up with motivating everyone prior to the Power Walk on May 7th!  Woot! Woot! Great event here we come!

Be well.

Elisabeth

Register or Join "Team Elisabeth" here: http://supportdfsvan.org/powerwalk.php

Read the Dress for Success Q&A regarding my involvement in the Power Walker here:http://www.dressforsuccess.org/userfiles/file/DFS%20Vancouver/Interview%20with%20Elisabeth%20Walker-Young.pdf

p.s. I'll be more timely with my next post. Promise!